Throwback Thursday - Interview with Dr Radha from PNG Sep 2014

04:11

Hello there fronds!


Long time no post, have been somewhat caught up in some other activities and so my virtual presence has drifted somewhat. I was recently surprised to hear from a couple people who actually read my blog *gasp* and so was reminded that what we experience is to share, and what we share can have an impact :) So thanks for that reminder, and please do continue to give feedback! I'd like to post more frequently this year, and especially to get stuck into my initial vision of talking/interviewing various people who have had volunteering experiences. This blog is a scrapbook after all, it was designed to be cumulative.

I'll kick off this month by sharing an interview stored in my archives from our trip to Papua New Guinea (PNG) last September with Hep B Free. We ran clinics with our partners at health centres around Popondetta and tried to establish a relationship with Gaubin Hospital at Karkar Island.

The interview I'm about to share is with Dr Radha, a Sydney-based General Practitioner who joined Hep B Free in 2014 and made her first trip in September that year. She was able to apply her experience with Paediatrics and Obstetrics/Gynaecology during training sessions in Popondetta with health workers.

Dr Radha (right) with the team at Kokoda Hospital, where she ran consultations

Tell us about your medical background.
I’m a general practitioner with special interest in Obstetrics/Gynecology and Paediatrics. I’ve [practised] for the last 10 years in Australia [after] graduating in India, so I guess that’s about 25 year of medical experience.

How did you get involved with Hep B Free?
I came to know about Hep B Free through Alice Lee, (Founder/Director of Hep B Free), she's been helping people who haven't been able to access health care or vaccinations, and I was inspired me to go.

What was your role on this trip?
[As a] primary health care practitioner, I was running some health clinics for patients with medical issues. I [saw] patients with chronic asthma, gastritis, arthritis and some other conditions. I saw some patients with malnutrition and tuberculosis, ascites, domestic violence... fungal infections, patients with umbilical polyps.

What experience or skills did you find to be most useful?
I think I’ve used my skills mainly [to help] patients with TB, advising them what kind of food they might need. [I was also able to] confidently tie an umbilical polyp. Medical experience [has also been] helpful to treat fungal infections, and with asthma management... and to reassure patients with chronic conditions.


Dr Radha running a training for community health workers from Popondetta clinics, on the topic of Obstetric Emergencies.

How are you able to provide reassurance in conditions with little treatment options?
That’s the real challenge. It’s a challenge in places with little resources, for example for TB patients. You need a good history, examination, apply your knowledge. [Ask yourself], do they need immediate help? Can we wait and see?

Understanding the culture is important as well. It’s part of the things you need to learn, about people’s culture. Breaking the barrier, taking a good history, communicating with them on their own level, being non-judgemental... I think that helps too.

What did you find most challenging?
I think treating the patients with limited resources is the real challenge. I find it really hard. But apart from that, I didn’t see the travelling or the accommodation or anything problematic at all, it was all comfortable. I can’t say it was a challenge. Limited medications available was a difficulty, I didn’t know what to do. And limited investigations (like ultrasound, x-rays)...again it comes back to limited resources.

Jodee (left) and Radha (right), after landing at Popondetta airport

What did you learn about PNG on this trip?
The country’s beauty, the people, the culture. How the transport system works. People are nicer, people are happy to communicate with you. 

The other thing I’ve noticed is that they are not money-centric, they will offer you [what they can] without obligation, they will not try and rip you off. They are friendly, easily-approachable and happy to explain to you about their culture. They have a lot of pride in their culture.

What was your most memorable experience?
When we went to the very remote area of the health community centres, there was a lady who was very friendly and offered me a betel nut. I tried it without hesitation because of her friendly [manner]. We became very close, she asked me “Are you sure you will be coming back?” The bond we were able to develop...is a very important memory for me.

If you could give a piece of advice to someone interested in volunteering, what would you say?
[As a volunteer], you have a lot to learn. Come with an open mind and be ready to take a challenge, any challenge. 

It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to volunteer for poorer people, you really need to understand what their needs are, otherwise you won’t know what to do. And try to get to know about their food habits before you come. 

And did you feel like you did that?

No. That’s why I’m saying this now. (laughs)

How has this trip influenced the way you see the world?

People are happier with very limited resources. They [can be] very happy and not greedy, even if they don’t have [much] for the next day. Be nice to people, be nice to everyone.

Dr Radha sharing a laugh with Karen, immunisation nurse at Siroga clinic (right)


You Might Also Like

0 comments